Southern Counties Glass started life in Crawley as part of the former Southern Counties Garages in Ifield Road in the 1930's. Car windscreens were then cut from sheet glass and, with Crawley being designated as one of the satellite towns under the Atlee governments New Towns Act, there was an opportunity to move into general glass and glazing with the huge post war building boom. The business became a Limited Company in 1952 and moved its location to West Street in Crawley.
The birth of Crawley new town offered opportunities for those with the know-how to succeed. One such man was Leslie Doughty, founder of Southern Counties Glass. Read more on the Crawley Observer website.